The Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI) is an internationally renowned research institution in intellectual property law and related areas of commercial law.
QMIPRI is part of the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary University of London and is based at the postgraduate law centre in Lincoln's Inn Fields, London.
QMIPRI research is carried out in all fields of intellectual property law, taking an international and comparative perspective. Around 30 to 40 PhD students complement the vibrant research culture.
The Intellectual Property Archive at Queen Mary University of London is one of the finest specialist intellectual property collections in Europe, with significant contributions from the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA).
The Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property publishes full-length articles as well as analysis pieces and case reports.
Our members teach on the London and Paris LLM programmes, as well as specialist intellectual property programmes: Certificate in Intellectual Property law, MSc in Intellectual Property Management, LLM in Intellectual Property Law and the Certificate in Trade Mark Law and Practice.
QMUL and WIPO sign landmark agreement to cooperate in IP teaching and research
Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute members
QMIIPRI members and visiting staff are regular speakers at international conferences and have acted as advisors for many international organisations such as WIPO, UNCTAD, the European Parliament, the European Patent Office and the European Commission as well as for non-governmental organisations.
- Dr Gaetano Dimita, Lecturer in International Intellectual Property Law
- Professor Peter Drahos, Professor of Intellectual Property Law
- Dr Gail E Evans, Reader in International Trade and Intellectual Property Law
- Professor Johanna Gibson, Herchel Smith Professor of Intellectual Property Law
- Jonathan Griffiths, Reader in Intellectual Property Law
- Professor Lord Hoffmann, Honorary Professor of Intellectual Property
- Professor Spyros Maniatis, Director of CCLS and Professor of Intellectual Property Law
- Professor Duncan Matthews, Professor of Intellectual Property Law
- Professor David Musker, Professor of International Design Law
- Dr Noam Shemtov, Senior Lecturer in IP and Computer Law
- Professor Uma Suthersanen, Professor of International Intellectual Property Law
- Professor Guido Westkamp, Professor in Intellectual Property and Comparative Law.
QMIPRI visiting faculty
- Dr Gillian Davies, Hogarth Chambers
- Professor Graham Dutfield, University of Leeds
- Professor Alison Firth, Visiting Professor, University of Surrey
- Dr Maria Mercedes Frabboni, University of Sussex
- John Hull, Farrer & Co
- Professor Philip Johnson, Cardiff University
- Gadi Oron, Visiting Professor and Director General of CISAC
- Gary J Rinkerman, Drinker Biddle and Reath LLP (USA)
- Gwilym Roberts, Kilburn & Strode, Visiting Professor
- Adrian Sterling, Visiting Professor
- Dr Gordon Wright, Visiting Professor.
QMIPRI is a founding member of the European Intellectual Property Institutes Network (EIPIN), which was established in 1999 to facilitate and increase cooperation among IP institutions and students in Europe.
Dr Herchel Smith's endowments to Queen Mary University of London continue to fund the Herchel Smith Chair in Intellectual Property, a number of student scholarships and the annual Herchel Smith public lecture in intellectual property. Along with CIPA, Dr Herchel Smith was instrumental in the creation of the Intellectual Property Archive at QMUL.